IT Landes Home Service Team was recognized by expertise.com as one of the Top…
Energy Saving Tips from IT Landes
Big savings come in small packages. By following these easy tips, homeowners can efficiently cut costs and energy usage.
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use. Don’t forget your computer. Most new computers have sleep settings.
- In the cold months, set the thermostat to 68 degrees when home and then back to 55 to 68 degrees when unoccupied.
- In the winter, open window coverings on the sunny side of your home to take advantage of free heat from the sun. Close the coverings on cloudy days or right after the sun sets.
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils (underneath and in the back) and don’t obstruct the coils. They need air space in order to work properly.
- Fix leaky faucets and install low-flow showerheads.
- Replace furnace and air conditioner filters. Spray the filters with a light coating of lemon furniture polish or vegetable oil cooking spray to help trap dirt in the filter.
- Check the seals on your refrigerator and freezer.
- Replace normal thermostats with programmable thermostats.
- Install floor and ceiling insulation: It is recommended to have a minimum of an R-30 to R-38 insulation in the attic and R19 insulation in the sub-floor.
- Replace inefficient and single pane windows with energy efficient multi-pane, thermally-broken, vinyl-framed windows.
- Replace energy-inefficient appliances. All appliances have an Energy Guide Label that indicate the appliances’ efficiency and cost to operate. Generally, an appliance more than 10 years old is not likely to be energy efficient. Look for products with the ENERGY STAR® label.
- Have your furnace systems cleaned. Have duct work checked for leaks.
- Caulk windows and caulk and weather-strip doors. Keep the outside air out and the inside air in.
IT Landes provides energy-efficient residential cooling and heating services to Harleysville, Souderton, Telford, Landsdale, Skippack PA and surrounding areas. If you are in need of HVAC service or maintenance or are looking for ways to improve the energy efficiency in your home, request an appointment or give us a call at 215-256-4221.