There is a world-wide concern for indoor air quality and many manufacturers are jumping…
Now that the summer heat has set in, homeowners are faced with their annual dilemma. Overuse the air conditioner so that the house is cool and refreshing, or sacrifice comfort for the sake of a low electric bill?
This summer, you can escape that lose-lose situation. By following these summer cooling tips, you can decrease the temperature of your home for a fraction of what it costs to run your air conditioner. Whether you need to maximize the efficiency of your residential cooling system or want to cool your home without one, these tips will help keep you and your family comfortable all summer long.
Cooling Your Home Without Turning Up Your AC
1. Adjust your ceiling fans so that they run counterclockwise. If your ceiling fans are still set for the winter months, you need to switch their direction immediately. According to Energy Star’s fan usage instructions, your fans should run counterclockwise in the summer so that they push cooler air down into the room instead of pulling it up and away. This breeze will cool you down whenever you’re by the fan.
2. Utilize your window coverings. Family Handyman claims that 30% of the heat in your home comes in through your windows. In order to minimize this source of excess heat, cover your windows during the daytime, especially if they face south or west.
3. Cook more meals outside. Not only is it finally nice enough to use your grill, but cooking outside will reduce the amount of heat your oven and stove produce. By eliminating heat from your oven, stove, and other cooking appliances, you’ll keep your house’s average temperature down.
4. Make sure that your attic is properly insulated. Heat rises, and if your attic does not have enough insulation, all of the heat trapped at the top of your house could leach through the walls and move down into your home. If you’re not sure if your attic is adequately insulated, check out this Adding Attic Insulation Guide to find out how much insulation your home needs.
5. Save your household chores until the end of the day. Running your washer and dryer, washing dishes, and taking showers all create humid heat that can make your home uncomfortable in the summer. In order to keep your home cool and comfortable during the day, avoid doing these activities when it is hottest outside. Instead, wait until the cooler evening and night hours.
There are many ways to cool your home down without cranking up both your air conditioner and your electric bill. Use these tips to stay comfortable this summer without breaking the bank. By following these summer cooling tips, you can maximize the efficiency of your residential cooling system or naturally lower the temperature in your home.
IT Landes provides residential cooling services to Harleysville, Souderton, Telford, Landsdale, Skippack PA and surrounding areas. If you are in need of air conditioning service or maintenance, request an appointment or give us a call at 215-256-4221.